As a parent or carer you have a vital role in supporting your son/daughter’s decisions for the future. Your support and guidance can influence their career pathways, choices and ultimately to help them achieve. This can feel daunting, especially as it can be very different to your own experiences and the jobs of the future are continually changing and might not even exist yet!
We have provided some steps that can help you to support your child in making those informed choices.
- Talk to them about their current grades and estimated grades and encourage them to be aspirational. The skills shortages of the future will be higher level job roles.
- Discuss where they want to be and research how to get there . All students have access to Unifrog the careers research platform and can provide them with a wide range of information and advice.
- Encourage them speak to others to gain advice and to discuss what experiences they need to help them achieve their goals.
- If they would like a 1:1 careers interview, ask them to speak to Miss Davidson who can arrange this for them during school time.
- Reassure them that if they do not know what they want to do yet then it is OK. Planning for the future is about the journey and not having a set plan in place and is just as important to try new things to find out what you enjoy and what they don’t.
In return we will support your son/daughter’s career development through a range of planned activities, further information can be found on our careers home page https://www.huntcliff.n-lincs.sch.uk/careers/ and in our Careers Plan