Our Life curriculum is tailored to the context of the school and offers a broad and balanced curriculum which provides our pupil’s with the knowledge, skills, and attributes they need to keep themselves healthy and safe and to prepare them for life and work in modern Britain.
Our Life curriculum is accessible to all students and helps them to understand how to be a positive role model in society and contribute to the wider community We aim to support the pupil’s spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development, that will help to equip them for opportunities, experiences to ensure future success.
The Life Curriculum gives pupil’s the chance to:
- Enjoy a wide range of topic areas that include personal, social, ethical and economical wellbeing and issues relating to modern life. Providing them with the freedom to discuss and share their views and help them to articulate their opinions from a wide range of topics.
- To develop their character and life skills in line with our values; Respect and Attitude in everything we do and with our learning expectations; Ambition, Readiness, Perseverance & Mindset.
- Develop cultural capital that will help in their achievement & success in school, future learning and the world of work. To take part in learning outside the classroom through providing various opportunities throughout the year.
- Explore and appreciate different religions, cultures, beliefs and opinions to develop their understanding of the world they live in.
- Develop an understanding of Relationship and Sexual Education including healthy relationships and LGBTQ+ relationships.
Relationship and Sex Education
The RSE curriculum provision gives due regard to the DfE’s statutory guidance on sex and relationship education as well as focussing in more detail on issues most relevant to pupils in our local context. Our RSE is provided through Big Talk, which uses award winning age appropriate relationship & sex education across all our year.
groups. Elements of the curriculum are also covered in our Science & PSHE lessons.
For more information about discussing RSE with your child and for the statutory
guidelines, click on the links below:
Sex Education Advice for Parents – Practical Help from Experts (bigtalkeducation.co.uk)
Understanding Relationships, Sex and Health Education – a guide for secondary school parents
Our Life curriculum is delivered through the following:
– School values and learning expectations
– 1-hour Life (PSHE) Lessons
– Assembly Programme
– Form time activities
– Trips and visits
– Enrichment Days/Activities
See our PSHE overview below for further details.